I’m getting overwhelmed with the number of things I think I ought to learn about to become a freelancer. There are so many applications to learn. I’m already experimenting with Blogger.com & WordPress. I still need to upgrade my skills with Excel, so that I can better market my skills in Elance. But, I’m thinking also about doing technical writing. So, I need to spend time on making sure I know the latest techniques for that line of work.
Here’s my list so far, of what I think will be worth my time:
- iTunes Technical Writing course
- Excel Pivot tables, just need to learn about changes in Excel 2013
- Blogger.com — I have an Adsense account, but, will I do enough blogging and get enough readership to bother trying to monetize it.
- WordPress — This seems to be the top-tier in blogging platforms, at least the free version seems that way, but, unless I buy a private domain, I can’t monetize it.
- Elance — The free version of Elance only allows a person to bid jobs in one job category; I think I might like to try bidding in 2 or 3 categories.
The primary thing I struggle against is investing in myself, versus throwing money down the drain. I can use various free sources to pick up skills, and market myself; it only costs time. If I invest money in training, Elance, WordPress, etc. will it be worthwhile? I guess time will tell. For now, I’ll stick with free.